By Nanica Brown & Allison Percival
Bored? Desperate? Never fear, we’ve got 30 great things to do in and around Calgary this summer! Make sure to check ahead for closure and admittance information before you visit.
1. Mini Golf at WinSport -While many of their usual summer activities are closed this season, mini golf is open! Book your time ahead at winsport.ca.
2. The City of Calgary Wading & Spray Pools - The City of Calgary will be opening four parks in early July. Bowness Park (8900, 48 Avenue NW); Prairie Winds Park (223 Castleridge Blvd. NE); Rotary Park (617 First Street NE) and South Glenmore Park (8415, 24 Street SW)
3. Outdoor Pools - Two are planning on opening this season with limited hours/admission! Highwood (25 Holmwood Avenue NW) and Silver Springs (Silverridge Close & Silverridge Drive NW).
4. The City of Calgary Skate Parks - We’re fortunate to have a ton of permanent skateparks in the city! All wheeled sports are permitted - in-line skates, bmx, scooters, and skateboards. Vehicles with motors are not permitted. Please follow physical distancing guidelines and watch for closures. calgary.ca/csps/recreation/skateparks.html
5. Fish Creek Park - Only a hop, skip, and a jump from Calgary’s southern suburbs, Canada’s largest urban park covers more than 20 kilometres of protected river valley.
6. Nose Hill Park - A unique natural environment park located in Northwest Calgary, just 15 minutes from downtown.
7. The City of Calgary’s Reader Rock Garden Historic Park - This three-acre site has trails waiting to be explored! Location: 325, 25 Avenue SE.
8. Elbow Valley Wetland - An incredible variety of sights and sounds greet you at this constructed wetland in the Calgary area. Location: Hwy 8 (Glenmore Trail SW), just 800 metres west of Sarcee Trail.
9. Beaver Dam Flats - Beaver Dam Flats is surrounded by various natural habitats that attract beavers.
10. Kananaskis Country - Located 90 kilometres southwest of Calgary, the spectacular mountain and foothills landscapes make a perfect backdrop for a multitude of recreational opportunities.
11. Calgary Farmyard - Get lost and eventually found as you navigate your way through giant corn labyrinths, mingle with barnyard animals, bounce on jumping pillows, ride tractor trains and more! calgaryfarmyard.com
12. Cobb’s Adventure Park- Book ahead online and check the website for closures. There is more than a full day of activities: kangaroo petting zoo, climbing wall, bouncy houses, pedal carts, tractor rides, archery tag, Zorbz, Eurobungy, ropes course, black light mini-golf, and more. cobbsadventurepark.com
13. Butterfield Acres Children’s Farm -Mix and mingle with all the different animals on a farm. Pony rides for little ones, tractor rides, try some milking, and more! Location: 254077 Rocky Ridge Road. butterfieldacres.com
14. The Vulcan Tourism & Trek Station - The Station is truly out of this world! Crew members will be on hand to answer any questions about the Station, as well as the town of Vulcan and Vulcan County. Location: One hour southeast of Calgary.
15. Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park - Enjoy almost 30 kilometres of trails through Glenbow Ranch Provincial Park. The main paved pathway is part of the Trans-Canada Trail system. These trails provide access to visitors on foot and bike, in wheelchairs, and on skateboards and rollerblades. The GRPF believes that recreation in natural surroundings benefits both the mind and body. Experience Glenbow today! Location: 255001 Glenbow Road, Cochrane.
16. The Hangar Flight Museum - Open Fridays and Saturdays; pre-purchase your tickets online. This museum has one of Canada’s most extensive collections of aircraft, helicopters, and aero engines. Location: 4629 McCall Way NE.
17. Heritage Park Historical Village - Limited buildings are open for public access; midway rides and the S.S. Moyie are closed for the season. Travel back in time to Canada’s largest living historical village. There are over 150 exhibits ready for you to explore. Location: 1900 Heritage Drive SW. heritagepark.ca
18. The Military Museums - At one of North America’s largest military museums, you can follow Alberta’s military heritage from 1885 during the NW Rebellion to the present day. Location: 4520 Crowchild Trail SW.
19. Calgary Zoo - Book your ticket online. There’s something for the whole family! Whether it’s enjoying the zoo or the warmth of the ENMAX Conservatory, it’s a different visit each time. Main public entrance: 210 St. George’s Drive NE. calgaryzoo.com
20. Kayben Farms Sunshine Adventure Park - Book a timed ticket online. 12+ acres of nature and farm for your kids to discover, learn, and have fun! Location: 10 minutes south of Calgary in Okotoks. kayben.com
21. The City of Calgary Inglewood Bird Sanctuary & Nature Centre - Over 250 bird species and a variety of mammals call these 32 hectares of natural area home. The Inglewood Bird Sanctuary is open, including the north field. However, the Nature Centre, the building on-site that houses the washrooms interpretive displays and drinking fountains, is currently closed. Location: on the Bow River at 2425, 9 Avenue SE.
22. Yamnuska Wolfdog Sanctuary - Wolfdog ambassadors are the wolfdogs that take front and centre stage at events and sanctuary interactions to help educate the public about wolfdogs and the importance of wolf conservation. Location: Cochrane.
23. The City of Calgary Devonian Gardens -Devonian Gardens is an urban oasis that offers one hectare of botanical gardens including over 500 trees, 50 varieties of plants, a 900-square-foot living wall, fountains, fish ponds, and a playground to climb and explore. Located in the downtown CORE Shopping Centre. calgary.ca/parks
24. TELUS Spark -Opening July 11 with a modified experience. Check online for details. A place for people of all ages and abilities to let go and embrace the desire to explore and discover science, technology, and art in a way that their normal day-to-day life doesn’t allow for. sparkscience.ca
25. Calgary Climbing Centres - Pre-book your time online! Whether you’re an advanced climber or just getting started, you’ll find your wall at the Calgary Climbing Centre. calgaryclimbing.com
26. Calgary Public Libraries - There are free children and teen programs available online on an ongoing basis and this summer, check out the Ultimate Summer Challenge! visit calgarypubliclibrary.com.
27. Repsol Sport Centre - Reopening July 6 - check the website for details. Repsol Sport Centre is there to help you in the pursuit of being courageous with your mind and body - forever swimming, forever running, forever weight lifting, or whatever activity moves you. repsolsportcentre.com
28. +15 Art Circuit, Presented by The City of Calgary Public Art Program - The + 15 introduces you to 14 interesting pieces from the civic art collection. This free, self-guided tour is primarily indoors with a few quick trips outside. calgary.ca
29. InjaNation - Climbing gym, indoor playground, trampoline park, and more all under one roof. For more information, visit injanation.com.
Nanica is the proud parent to Benjamin and Fable. Truly a child at heart, she is constantly exploring Calgary for new things to keep her kids from destroying her house and happily occupied year-round. Allie is the Assistant Publisher of +Calgary’s Child Magazine.
Calgary’s Child Magazine © 2020 Calgary’s Child