Written by Penny Warner
To create the atmosphere of bubbles and water, pick up latex balloons in varying shades of blue - think everything from aqua to royal blue, like a real ocean - and find some curling ribbon to match.
Penny Warner has more than 25 years of experience as an author and party planner. She has published more than 50 books, including 16 specific to parties. Additionally, Warner writes a weekly newspaper column on family life, penned a column for Sesame Street Parents magazine and has appeared on several regional and national TV morning programs. Her latest book, HOW TO HOST A KILLER PARTY, debuted in February 2010 from NAL/Penguin.
- Inflate the balloons with helium so they float around the room to create your underwater setting. Use the Balloon Time A La Carte tank, which comes in standard size (fills approx. 30 9" latex balloons) and large size (fills approx. 50 9" latex balloons).
- Use sea shells from a past vacation (or pick up some plastic shells at a craft store) to anchor each balloon to the ground. Try to place them at varying heights to achieve the feel of real bubbles.
- To add some fish to the party, select latex balloons in bright colors that contrast the blue bubbles and water. Yellow, orange and pink will really stand out. Use stickers to create eyes, a mouth and a dorsal fin for each fish. The Balloon Time Create-A-Face Sticker Kit comes with a helium-filled tank, balloons and ribbon and nearly 200 facial feature stickers to help give each fish its own personality.
- Finish out each fish's fins by using crepe paper for the tail and pectoral fins. Check out some pictures of fish on the Internet or in your favorite movie to get an idea of the shape of the fins. Be sure to use elements that are as lightweight as possible so the accessories don't weigh down the fish and prevent them from floating.
- Finally, tie curling ribbon to the tail of the fish (where the knot is) and pull the ribbon to the underside of the fish. Tape the ribbon to the fish belly and anchor it with a sea shell so it floats horizontally instead of vertically. Scatter the fish balloons throughout the room and enjoy!
- Once you've created the underwater atmosphere, get your child and the party guests in some swim gear complete with snorkel, mask and flippers and start the adventure.
Balloon Time is the leading brand of consumer helium balloon kits in North America. Balloon Time kits feature a helium-filled tank, latex or foil balloons and ribbon, and are available at national retail chains, party goods and grocery stores nationwide. For more information, visit BalloonTime.com.