You may wonder how you can celebrate a loved one’s birthday or significant milestone together while apart. Don’t worry, I have you covered! Here is a list of ideas you can pamper the special people in your life during lockdown. And if you are like me, you can drop hints or ideas to others, so they know what to do on your special day.
1. Show that special someone you care by leaving on their doorstep some flowers, their favorite box of chocolates or snack, and a few personal sentiments on a handwritten card. Flowers are always a nice touch, but some people are allergic. In that case, leave a small terrarium of succulents that are easy to take care of and can be added to any style of home décor.
2. Order a box of afternoon tea or a grazing tray (these have become very popular in Calgary) and have the box delivered to the special someone’s house. A simple search on Google or Instagram will give you recommendations in your area.
3. Purchase a spa gift box or make one yourself! There is a ton of inspiration online for things you can add into the spa box: handmade soaps and candles, face and body scrubs, beard grooming kit items for men, etc. If you are feeling adventurous, make it a virtual event and have everyone put on their favorite facemask to refresh after a long day.
4. Virtual picnic. This is one of my favorite things to do because it involves food! Drop off a picnic basket of the recipient’s favorite foods (maybe some favorite bevvies, too) and then have a virtual picnic with friends and/or family indoors or out.
5. Send that special someone a digital photo frame. There are some really cool ones that you can sync with your phone, and then you can send pictures or videos to the digital photo frame. Sending photos or videos of past celebrations spent together reminds family or friends that you will be able to see each other again someday soon.
6. Buy a basket, fill it with a few of the recipient’s favorite things, and then do a doorstep drop-off. You could even do a theme for the basket. I like the five senses theme, with a twist! Fill the basket with things they like to read, eat, smell, feel, and listen to. You could fill the basket with a book or a gift card for an audiobook, a cuddly blanket or reading socks, a scented candle, their favorite tea or coffee, etc.
7. Enjoy a fun crafternoon! Get those creative juices flowing with a virtual painting, cooking, pottery or other craft class. Keep the skill level easy so everyone can participate.
8. Have a games night. There are tons of fun online trivia games to choose from. Search the Web to get your game on! Some fun ones to try? Houseparty, Quizup, Jackbox Games.
9. An easy way to celebrate one of life’s milestones? Host an evening of virtual wine tasting. Have everyone purchase a selection of the same mini bottles of wine, and then taste and rate the wines. The wine with the highest score is the winner. Then everyone can purchase the winning wine to enjoy together at the next virtual wine tasting. Might be best to stick to one color of wine per tasting: red or white. Remember to sip on water throughout the evening.
10. Schedule a drive-by celebration and have friends or family drive pass the special someone’s home waving and honking (don’t forget to give their neighbors a courtesy warning!).
I hope these ideas on how to make lockdown celebrations special inspires you to keep living and celebrating life every day. There are no excuses anymore. Let there be love and laughter shared safely, even in lockdown.
Kemi is a mother and the owner of Korede’s Meals. She shares lunchbox inspiration and ideas to help busy parents with school lunches. The mission of Korede’s Meals is to inspire kids and foster community one lunch box at a time. Connect with her on Instagram @NaijaCanadianBentoMom for more lunch box ideas.
Calgary’s Child Magazine © 2024 Calgary’s Child