How important could choosing the ‘right’ diaper bag possibly be? As it turns out, very important! There is nothing worse than having your hands full with a bolting toddler and a newborn who has just had a diaper blowout in the middle of the mall and having to spend what seems like an hour digging to the bottom of your bag to find the wet wipes while screaming at the top of your lungs to your wandering toddler, “Come back here!”
Parenting is often done one-handed, so when it comes to deciding on a dominating diaper bag, accessibility is king! Sara Milliken, Assistant Manager of Customer Service at buybuy BABY® Calgary, says the biggest current trend in diaper bags is the fact that roughly 60 to 70 percent of the hundreds of bags the store carries are backpacks. “People are looking for easy, organized, quick, and convenient, and that is what they seem to be finding in the backpack-style,” says Dallas Duncan, Manager of buybuy BABY® Calgary.
Milliken advises it is important you try on the backpack-style bags before purchasing as everyone is cut differently in the back and shoulders, and you want to make sure it is comfortable. “Fit is as important as fashion,” she says.
The dominating diaper bag (ranked from lower to higher price range)
Carter’s® Stow Away Diaper Bag Backpack
This diaper bag backpack is buybuy BABY’s bestseller and adds effortless style and function:
SKIP*HOP® Suite 6-piece Diaper Backpack Set
Adorned with diamond quilted embroidery, this diaper bag comes equipped with accessories and easy-access compartments:
Itzy Ritzy® Boss Diaper Bag Backpack
The Itzy Ritzy® Boss Diaper Backpack is the perfect blend of convenience, style, and comfort:
The top 10 diaper bag essentials
1. Nursing scarf. These can be used in a pinch for many things other than nursing including a blanket, stroller cover, burp blanket, bib, change pad… the list goes on.
2. Snack cup. The Boon® Squirt Silicone Baby Food Dispensing Spoon takes baby food, removes the jar, and packs it into a single utensil for convenient, one-handed feeding.
3. Sippy cup/water bottle/bottle. The Munchkin® Miracle® 360° Trainer Cup for older children is spill-free and its spout-less design enables your child to drink from anywhere along the 360o rim, and seals instantly when your child stops sipping to avoid messy leaks.
4. Pacifier. The style and design of a pacifier is up to your baby’s preferences. However, many people choose to use a WubbaNub® as it includes a stuffed toy and soother in one, providing even more comfort for baby.
5. Wet wipes. In addition to a traditional-sized bag for diapers, we recommend the Aleva Naturals® Bamboo Baby® Pacifier and Toy Wipes to keep your little one’s items clean without the use of harsh chemicals.
6. Small diaper cream. One of the things you are going to want in the many pockets that come in a quality diaper bag is cream for those unpredictable rashes.
7. Hand sanitizer. We recommend Baby BUM® brand, which is an antibacterial spray hand sanitizer infused with oils and fruit extracts and is obtained from sugar cane alcohol, making it school-safe.
8. A toy. Every parent knows that the right toy or book can be a lifesaver when you spend those five minutes too long in line while out and about. The most effective toys are a mix of a stuffed toy and a teether and have many textures and sounds.
9. Extra clothes and diapers. Most expert parents recommend packing one per hour that you will be out and about.
10. Wet bag. Many high-end diaper bags come with a wet bag, but wet bags can also be purchased separately and can be lifesavers (or at least money-savers) when you need to keep messy clothes contained.
Stacie is a freelance writer, photographer, and mother of a delightful daughter, five, and silly son, two.
Calgary’s Child Magazine © 2021 Calgary’s Child