By Nanica Brown & Allison Percival
Bored? Desperate? Never fear, we’ve got 30 great things to do in and around Calgary this summer! Make sure to check ahead for closure and admittance information before you visit.
1. Mini Golf at WinSport -While many of their usual summer activities are closed this season, mini golf is open! Book your time ahead at winsport.ca.
2. The City of Calgary Wading & Spray Pools - The City of Calgary will be opening four parks in early July. Bowness Park (8900, 48 Avenue NW); Prairie Winds Park (223 Castleridge Blvd. NE); Rotary Park (617 First Street NE) and South Glenmore Park (8415, 24 Street SW)
3. Outdoor Pools - Two are planning on opening this season with limited hours/admission! Highwood (25 Holmwood Avenue NW) and Silver Springs (Silverridge Close & Silverridge Drive NW).
4. The City of Calgary Skate Parks - We’re fortunate to have a ton of permanent skateparks in the city! All wheeled sports are permitted - in-line skates, bmx, scooters, and skateboards. Vehicles with motors are not permitted. Please follow physical distancing guidelines and watch for closures. calgary.ca/csps/recreation/skateparks.html
5. Fish Creek Park - Only a hop, skip, and a jump from Calgary’s southern suburbs, Canada’s largest urban park covers more than 20 kilometres of protected river valley.
Parents are looking for ways to keep their kids meaningfully engaged during the long days at home. How about inspiring your kids’ creativity in ways that are both educational and fun? Encourage them to download an app - or three. Here are some of the best creativity-boosting apps. And the best part is, they’re free!
Just because your children can’t be in the same room as their friends, doesn’t mean they can’t still socialize with the introduction of virtual playdates. Free and readily available technology such as FaceTime, Zoom, and Skype make it easier than ever to see friends and even share in some activities without physically getting together.
Looking for safe, fun apps to make the most of screen time? It can be hard to wade through the app store to find quality options! Here are some of our family's favorites. This list covers everything from math to movement - I know you'll find something your kids will love!
Calgary’s Child Magazine © 2021 Calgary’s Child